Nigerian Universities That Are Not Under ASUU in 2022
Every year, thousands of students struggle to gain admission into Nigerian universities, with some only succeeding after numerous attempts. This irrecoverable loss of time is worsened when the school decides to halt academic sessions to embark on long and exhausting strikes.
Such universities put their students at a disadvantage, which is unfortunate. Where a student will typically spend four years completing a course, the implication of a strike will keep them in the system for much longer. Here is a creeping ripple effect of the situation: Nigerian certificates are losing value when compared globally because their holders must undergo additional testing and assessments when applying for foreign opportunities.
The solution is simple—gaining admission to a university where frequent strikes are not mandated, especially by external bodies. While strikes can occur for several reasons, the ASUU strike is the most infamous.
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), established in 1978 with just five institutions, was created to represent the interests of all academic staff employed by Nigerian federal and state universities. Currently, over 80 Nigerian federal and state universities are now under the ASUU umbrella.
As of the time of writing this article, the 2022 ASUU Strike has been on for over six months, from 14 February 2022 until today. This implies that students in universities under ASUU have been out of school for 173 days and counting. Since the first ASUU strike in 1999, the union has been cumulatively on strike for five years.
Before we show you the list of Nigerian universities that are not on strike, let’s see why there are still universities under ASUU amidst the incessant strikes from 1999.
Why are there still universities under ASUU?
Apart from private universities that can independently fund their schools, federal and state-owned universities rely on grants and funding from the Nigerian government to run their institutions and pay academic staff. We have seen many exceptions in the case of a few public universities breaking out of the ASUU cover to stand alone. This article shares a comprehensive list of universities that are not affiliated with ASUU.
What exactly does ASUU want?
According to a statement from Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke, National President of ASUU, the Nigerian government alone has the authority to decide whether to call off the strike. In ASUU’s complaint, the FG routinely violates all agreements to increase funding for universities whose student populations keep rising yearly. The price tag for ASUU’s demands runs into billions of naira annually, adding up to over N1 trillion naira for the revitalization fund.
ASUU records show that the FG has only committed 3% of this sum. The remission of Earned Academic Allowance and the replacement of the Integrated Personnel Payroll Information System (IPPIS) with the University Transparency and Accountability System (UTAS), are among ASUU’s demands in addition to the revitalization fund.
When will ASUU call off the strike?
If the Nigerian Federal Government is willing to meet ASUU’s demands, information obtained from talks between the two parties suggests that the strike might end on August 14, 2022, but neither party has made an official announcement.
If you want to change schools or for general informational purposes, check out our compilation of Nigerian universities that are not affected by the ASUU strike below.
List of Nigerian universities not on strike in 2022
As it stands, all Nigerian federal universities are under the ASUU umbrella. Here is a list of state universities not on strike this year.
- Prince Abubakar Audu University (formerly Kogi State University), Ayingba
- Delta State University, Abraka
- University of Medical Sciences, Ondo
- Rivers State University, Nkpolu-Oroworukwo
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- Kwara State University, Malete
What other options can I consider while applying for a university?
If you can afford the convenience, opt for private universities as there are none under ASUU. We have compiled an extensive list below with their names, locations and websites.
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adeleke University, Ede
- Admiralty University, Ibusa, Ugwashi-Uku
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti
- African University of Science & Technology, Abuja
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- American University of Nigeria, Yola
- Anchor University, Ayobo
- Arthur Javis University, Akpabuyo
- Atiba University, Oyo
- Augustine University, Ilara-Epe
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Baze University, Abuja
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bingham University, New Karu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Amorji-Nike
- CETEP City University, Yaba
- Chrisland University, Ilugun
- Christopher University, Mowe
- Clifford University, Ihie
- Coal City University, Emene
- Covenant University, Ota
- Crawford University, Igbesa
- Crescent University, Abeokuta
- Crown Hill University, Eiyenkorin
- Dominion University, Ibadan
- Edwin Clark University, Kiagbodo
- Eko University of Medical and Health Sciences, Ijanikin
- Elizade University, Ilara Mokin
- Evangel University, Akaeze
- Fountain University, Osogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike
- Greenfield University, Kaduna
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Hallmark University, Ijebu-Itele
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Igbinedion University, Okada
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Katsina University, Katsina
- Kings University, Ode-Omu
- KolaDaisi University, Onidundun
- Kwararafa University, Wukari
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Lead City University, Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija
- Madonna University, Okija
- Mcpherson University, Seriki-Sotayo, Ajebo
- Micheal and Cecilia Ibru University, Ughelli
- Mountain Top University, Ibafo
- Nile University, Abuja
- Novena University, Ogume
- Obong University, Obong Ntak
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu
- PAMO University of Medical Sciences, Elelenwo
- Pan-Atlantic University, Lekki
- Paul University, Awka
- Precious Cornerstone University, Agodi
- Redeemer’s University, Ede
- Renaissance University, Ugbawka
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Skyline University Nigeria, Kano
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Spiritan University, Nneochi
- Summit University, Offa
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Trinity University, Ofada
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Veritas University, Bwari
- Wellspring University, Benin City
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Western Delta University, Oghara
- Westland University, Iwo
Is your school in session but not listed here? Let us know in the comments!