When a student picks a professional course to study, traditional courses like engineering, law, medicine, and accounting are some of the most common courses on their application forms. In recent times, advanced human activities and the need for specialization have created professional courses you didn’t know existed in Nigeria.
List of 5 JAMB-Accredited Courses You Didn’t Know Existed in Nigeria
Horticulture is planting and nurturing agriculture or ornamental plants for several purposes. In Nigeria, the most popular type of horticulture is Floriculture which covers flowers and ornamental plants alone. The field is much larger than flower-planting and cuts across the production of fruits and vegetables and even winemaking.
The following are some schools in Nigeria that offer a degree in Horticulture.
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State
- Federal University of Technology, Minna, Niger State
- Federal College Of Forestry, Jos, Plateau State
- Enugu State College Of Agriculture, Enugu State
- Fashion Design and Clothing Technology
Yes! It is a degree-awarded course. The course content includes garment construction, pattern drafting, sewing, and clothing equipment management.
The following are some schools in Nigeria that offer certification in Fashion and Design.
- University of Abuja, FCT-Abuja
- Auchi Polytechnic, Edo State
- Institute of Management Technology, Enugu State
- Institute of Information Technology, Jigawa State
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
As a developing nation, a handful of progressive national institutions in the country now offer accredited courses on Artificial Intelligence.
Here are some of them:
- Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State
- University of Nsukka, Enugu State
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State
The Prime Innovation Institute of Technology, Lagos also grants Professional Diplomas in Artificial Intelligence.
- Religious and Social Studies
Religion is a large part of the Nigerian experience. Little wonder the subject made its way into the brochure of our educational system.
The following universities offer certifications in Religious Studies.
- Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo, Ondo State
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- University of Ilorin, Kwara State
- University of Lagos, Lagos State
- Bayero University, Kano State
Anesthesiology is the branch of medicine that focuses on the before, during, and after perioperative care and supervision of patients undergoing surgery. This care ranges from the administration of pain or emergency medicine to anesthesia.
The following institutions offer certifications in Anesthesiology and Intensive Care:
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Oyo State
- University of Uyo, Akwa-Ibom State
- University of Jos, Plateau State
- Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State
In UTME, it is important to note that English Language is mandatory for all courses.